Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Debate: Natural or Not

Just about a year ago, my hair was pretty much non-existent as I wore it shaved really low in a caesar. However, just as unpredictable as the decision to shave my dome, the decision to let it grow came just as quickly. And, that's exactly what I've been doing--letting it grow!

Of course, every now and then, I get the 'itch' to cut here or chop it off there but have been able to resist the urge (so far). Instead, I opt for color to provide a little 'umph' to my tresses.....not that my locs can't speak loudly for themselves (no, not at all). I choose to add color because it suits my personality, it appeals to my mood.

Hmmmm.....but does this a natural make? Or am I more like a quasi-natural? Better yet, is being natural more of an attitude and/or lifestyle? For example, though I am without a perm, I have chemically applied color to my 'bush' but let me get in a swimming pool, I assure you that my hair will sure enough shrivel up like the next..... Let's talk! Natural or Not?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I consider to be natural hair is when the texture isn't chemically manipulated. Coloring one's hair doesn't fall into that category in my opinion. I also feel that colored hair is more of an expression of individuality. However I do agree that 'natural' is also a state of mind because before a person does the act of resisting altering the texture of their hair they first must visualize it in their mind. I have also noticed that a lot of people who go natural are more prone to moving towards a healthier lifestyle by way of diet changes and exercise or even spiritual changes. Being natural feels different... it's a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i couldn't have said/written it better!! you most def are a bad BushBroad!!

    ReplyDelete